Braces For Teens: An Overview
You’ve just heard the three words that are dreaded by many teens: “You need braces!” So, what’s next?
With over 25 years of experience, you can rest assured that our team of experts can help walk you through everything you need to know about braces, retainers, and all things orthodontics. We’ve treated thousands of patients with braces, so don’t worry; they aren’t nearly as scary as you may think. In fact, braces today come in a variety of styles, materials, and colors, making life with braces much easier, more comfortable, and even more discreet than in the past. At your first appointment, our team will walk you through all the tips and tricks to help you ensure that your braces do not interfere with your busy lifestyle.
How Long Will I Have To Wear Braces?
The amount of time it takes to treat your smile with braces depends on three key factors:
- Early treatment — Early treatment allows orthodontists to monitor the growth of the jaw and recommend further orthodontic treatment if necessary. Not everybody receives early orthodontic treatment; in some cases, it may be recommended that a patient wait to receive treatment.
- What needs correction — The amount of treatment necessary to correct a problem will determine how long the process takes. Different patients react to treatments differently. While it may take one patient only 12 months to complete treatment, it may take another patient 24 months. Treatment times can vary depending on how quickly your body responds and how much work is needed to give you the show-stopping smile you expect.
- You! — Your willingness to use the appliances your orthodontist gives you plays a significant role in the length of time it takes to complete your treatment. Always remember to take care of your braces and appliances; this truly will help make your treatment shorter!
Braces Your Way
Our practice offers more than one style of braces to choose from. Some common options include:
- Ceramic braces — If you’re looking for the most discreet option for braces, ceramic brackets are the way to go. Offering the same great results as metal brackets, clear braces are made from a ceramic material that is designed to blend in with your natural smile. These braces are perfect for patients looking to maintain a more natural and discreet appearance during treatment. While they are visually less prominent, they do require slightly more attention to oral hygiene as ceramic braces tend to more easily show food particles and buildup.
- Metal braces — Due to their proven effectiveness, metal braces remain the most popular option for orthodontic treatment. However, thanks to the self-ligation technology used in our offices, the brackets are much lighter, smaller, and more comfortable while offering more efficient movement. Rather than traditional stainless steel, our rhodium-coated brackets are highly aesthetic due to their low reflective matte finish.
Orthodontic braces are a big part of life for many people your age. While braces may have had a bad reputation in the past, today’s braces make it easy to look good and feel good! Remember, our team is here for you every step of the way to answer every question and ensure the treatment process is smooth, fun, and comfortable.